Thursday, January 05, 2006

Cabbage Patch Kids

My niece Amelia received her first cabbabe patch doll this year for Christmas. Throughout the day she enjoyed changing her baby's clothes and diaper several times. As I watched her play childhood memories flooded my mind. The hours I spent playing with my cabbage patch dolls were numerous. It feels like just yesterday that I was that kid who was too excited for Christmas and all the gifts it ensured. However, I realize that my feelings about X-mas have evolved over the last few years. I am desirous for the reason behind the season to play a larger role in the holiday festivities. Our church does a really good job of remembering and celebrating the meaning of Christmas. A weekly service involving a meal, scripture readings and fellowship is offered during the weeks leading up to the day of Christ's birth. I have only attended a few of these services but have found them to be fulfilling. Honestly I find it satisfying to give and receive gifts from friends and family and see nothing wrong with this tradition. I am guilty however, of making gifts the focus of Christmas. I love new insights and am convinced that with each passing year I will be more intentional on how I choose to celebrate the birth of Christ.

No comments: