Monday, May 14, 2007

He said what?

Jason: While I am gone, I need you to clean our bedroom.

As most of you know Jason has spent the last 7 years trying to get me to STOP cleaning. His love of learning was contagious and so instead of cleaning, he talked me into reading. I was excited to join Jason's world and as a result we currently house 5 book shelves worth of books and neither of has completed our final degree..... With each year of education the time allotted for cleaning gets scaled down. With the purchase of our home last year and all of the work that it required, my cleaning time become non-existent. And thus we arrive in the present and find Jason- the man who had almost convinced me that cleaning was an overrated luxury, similar to showers so he tells me, not a necessity- asking me to use my god-given cleaning abilities to rid our bedroom of dirt and dust. It was a request that I fantasized about many a nights over the course of our relationship. I also had an insight about the dynamics of our cyclical cleaning battles, "maybe I haven't exposed Jason to enough dirt?" This thought was succeeded by the following conversation...

Jason: "Kara, what's this pink stuff in the shower?"

Kara: "MOLD!"

Jason: "I've never seen pink mold in our bathroom."

Jason, a few minutes later: "how do you get it off?"

Kara: "clean."

This week Jason changed one of the long standing narratives in our relationship; Kara cleans and Jason doesn't notice. Jason not only noticed and requested the dirt be CLEANED, he also cleaned his first toilet in 7 years and scrubbed his first bathroom floor. When I awoke, my bathroom sparkled- I am convinced that he too possess the cleaning gift he just hasn't had the need or chance to use it yet:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!

Annie said...

I'm laughing so hard right now. Truly a breakthrough.

Anonymous said...

did you check your email? I sent you the interview!