Thursday, May 24, 2007

unraveled at the seams

Since we bought our tickets to NY in February, I have been planning on making significant progress on Jason's birthday sweater of 2003. Yes, I am aware that it is 2007 and that I have taken the sweater apart more times than I care to admit- so it is a work in progress, just like me. Back to the point- flying and knitting. I had envisioned a peaceful trip with my needles in hand and my yarn taking on an identifiable shape. My naive fantasy involving circular and double pointed needles in mid-air reveals the absence of any flying adventures I've had in the last seven years. Not until today, when a co-worker told me of her disdain for airport procedures, were my dreams of spools of yarn and rounds of needles ruined. I inquired and learned the many "No, No's" of the airfield. It is sad that knitting needles are now considered weapons. Can't blame a girl for having big dreams- the smile on her husband's face when she finally gave him his long awaited birthday gift. I look forward to the day when LOVE not hate and violence prevails- when the lamb will lay down with the lion again.

3 comments:

Annie said...

OH, the perils of the kniting needle... I hope you finish it.

Anonymous said...

I hope your trip goes well! We will miss you!! I got your card today!! Thank you for being such a great sister!! I love you greatly!!

Anonymous said...

I've flown in the last year with knitting needles and didn't have any problems. I didn't have double pointed needles. I stayed with circular needles thinking they were less threatening. Maybe it depends on the airline... I'm sure The Pilot would know for sure.