Thursday, May 22, 2008

The BIG Move

We calculated our move today and it is only 2,534 miles. It will take aprox. 1 day (24hrs) + 13 more hours of non-stop driving to reach our new home. Traveling at a pace of about 5-7 hrs per day will require a whole week of traveling- Yikes this is a long ways away! Camping and brown bag meals seem like the most economical and fun to me but Jason isn't too keen on a weeks worth of instant oatmeal and pb & honey. Of course we'll take our french press and stumptown coffee to get the mornings rolling. I am hoping I can talk Jason into a few brief hikes and possible off the routed path excursions. We are headed out in about 6 weeks and I think our latest decision is not to bring much because of the cost of moving it all there and back. I can't believe how expensive it is to move- 1 bedroom for about $2000. So we'll arrive with little and find some needed goods on craigslist or at goodwill. This will be quite the adventure!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am really excited for you adventure. I still look back and love that we took our time driving all the way out here. I had a cooler in the back with food and a tent in the trunk! It worked out great!! We took 3 weeks and made some very fun stops, but the car time was really nice as well! You will have a great time! -Julie

Anonymous said...

When Jeremiah J. and I drove out here in 2000, we left Connecticut on Friday evening at 6:00pm and rolled into Portland on Sunday evening at 10:00pm (1:00 EST). Needless to say, we didn't stop all that often to take in the sites. I say Jason today at Pilgrims as I was grabbing the last of their books and he said you both were heading to Knoxville in July for a year. What a drastic difference! Have a safe trip and hurry back...with a kid for crying out loud! :-)

Big Sexxxy said...

You will be missed!

Betsy said...

Are you guys having a going away party before you leave? I know we haven't been in touch lately, but I'd love to see you before you go! Is it your plan to head back here after your year is up?

Email me at Betsjoelwh@msn.com and let me know!